Giant floor maps
Click to enlarge
Canada from Space
This map is out of this world. Canada from Space is comprised of images taken by Canada’s RADARSAT-2 and is the first of its kind. Explore how Earth observation satellites monitor Canada and can be used to protect and prepare Canadians. Through ten curriculum-linked activities, students will learn first-hand how pollution and natural disasters impact our country, the importance of Canada’s arctic ice, and the scientific phenomenon of the northern lights. They will also get a chance to see Canada from the International Space Station, through the eyes of the Canadian astronaut Chris Hadfield.
Learn how to introduce this resource to your class with this helpful guide.
The Giant Floor maps are available on loan for 3-week periods throughout the school year and by special request during the summer.
Due to the ongoing demand for the map and support from the Canadian Space Agency, the next three years will see this giant floor map tour Canadian communities in Nunavut, Nunavik, Nunatsiavut, Yukon territory and Northwest Territories. The following activity has been created specifically for these students living in Nunavut. We encourage teachers to use it as an introduction to the map and to help students become familiar with remote sensing.
Floor map dimensions:
- Dimensions 10.7 m (35') x 7.9 m (26')
- Diameter of Shipping tube: 32 cm (13")
- Trunk: 82 cm (32") x 46 cm (18") x 58 cm (22.5")
- The floor map will be shipped in a large bag filled with 10 activities.
The activity trunk includes:
- Teacher’s guide
- Information on Canada’s energy landscape
- Hard copies of all activities.
- All required materials for 10 activities (download activities below)
- Media kit (this will be e-mailed to you upon the completion of your reservation)
- A hard copy of a press release and background information
- A list of suggested ways to get media attention
Canada From Space giant floor map activities (click to download)
Earth Observation: Seeing Canada Differently
Canada from Space
What Does Pollution Look Like?
Fresh from Canada
Canadian Ice Service
To Navigate and Protect
Coast to Coast to Coast
Whatever the Weather
Nunavut Snowmobile Activity
Purchase a Giant Floor Map
If you would like to purchase a Giant Floor Map rather than book one of the travelling versions, learn more about purchasing our Giant Floor Maps in various sizes.